• Welcome to EnForums.com - A community for passionate English learners. If you are passionate about English, you have come to the right place, please register to participate.

Learning English Is My Hobby

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
indigent: very poor

Studies have shown that not all these people are indigent: a quarter or more can afford insurance, but choose not to buy it.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
sandwich generation: used in the US, a generation of people, typically in their thirties or forties, responsible for bringing up their own children and for the care of their aging parents.

After being a part of the sandwich generation for a while, I know a few things about taking moms to the hospital, as well as dads and parents-in-law.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
que sera, sera: a Spanish phrase, means "Whatever will be, will be."

“I thought about dying in a plane crash every time I flew, but I didn’t dwell on it,” she writes. “Since that early flight in 1965, my children had grown up, and I had lived 58 good years, and ‘que sera, sera.’ There is great freedom in being unafraid.”

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
scrape by: to live with barely enough money.

I come from a single-parent household where my mum worked two jobs to scrape by. I was a latchkey kid and I barely saw her.

hand to mouth: satisfying only one's immediate needs because of lack of money for future plans and investments.

They were flat broke and living hand to mouth.

latchkey kid
: If you refer to a child as a latchkey kid, you disapprove of the fact that they have to let themselves into their home when returning from school because their parents are out at work.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
delinquent: a young offender, guilty of a minor misdeed

juvenile delinquent

They were determined to be delinquent, the juvenile equivalent of guilty, a judge ruled in the juvenile court trial without a jury.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
visage: a person's face, facial expression

run amok: to behave without control in a wild or dangerous manner

vexing: annoying, puzzling, frustrating

rendezvous: a place where people have arranged to meet, meeting.

Word of the day: sentient

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
starry-eyed: full of emotion, hopes or dreams about sb/sth in a way that is not realistic

She is not starry-eyed about her marriage.

waif: a homeless, neglected, or abandoned person, especially a child.

The dirty-faced waif was only five or six years old.

sorcery: magic that uses evil spirits

Along the way, he also came to love magic—not spells and sorcery, but the tricks and illusions of puzzlers and prestidigitators.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
jaded: bored or lacking enthusiasm, typically after having had too much of something.

After a while you become jaded and barely notice the spectacle. Then you feel disappointed with yourself for not maintaining childlike wonder for the whole show.

Goku99821

jaded: bored or lacking enthusiasm, typically after having had too much of something.

After a while you become jaded and barely notice the spectacle. Then you feel disappointed with yourself for not maintaining childlike wonder for the whole show.
I've never heard that before, but seems like a great word to include in my writing. The saying 'you learn something new everyday' couldn't get anymore accurate.