• Welcome to EnForums.com - A community for passionate English learners. If you are passionate about English, you have come to the right place, please register to participate.

Learning English Is My Hobby

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
rain on someone's parade: prevent someone from enjoying an event; spoil someone's plans.

- Oh dude this gig's gonna be so awesome and EVERYONE's gonna get so drunk!
- Sorry to rain on your parade, but there's no alcohol allowed inside the building.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
a drop in the bucket: a very small amount compared with what is needed or expected.

I'm glad Tony started repaying the money he borrowed from me, but the five dollars he gave me yesterday is just a drop in the bucket compared to what he still owes.

Though there are hundreds of millions of dollars being exchanged in these acquisitions, the actual revenue being earned by SMMP vendors is a drop in the bucket compared to overall revenue in the enterprise technology sector.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
Go over like a lead balloon (UK version: go down like a lead balloon)
Fail completely and be considered a flop by the public

I’m afraid your plan went over like a lead balloon.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
(The) Elephant in the (living) room: an important topic or problem that everyone knows about but no one wants to discuss because it makes at least some of them uncomfortable.

The degeneration of parental responsibility in this country is the elephant in the room, but no one in Washington wants to address it.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
synopsis: /sɪˈnɒpsɪs/ summary of a longer piece of writing or work.
(pl. synopses)

For each title there is a brief synopsis of the book.

During the final week, all participants will be invited to put forward a synopsis of the main policy concerns related specifically to their own institution or country situation.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
take the cake: be the most remarkable or foolish of its kind.
(A common variation is to take the biscuit)

I can't believe this mess. It just takes the cake.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
Sweetness of wine: dry, medium dry, medium sweet, sweet.

A dry wine is simply a wine that has no residual (/rɪˈzɪdjuəl/) sugar, meaning it isn’t sweet. When grape juice converts to wine, alcohol is produced in the fermentation process because yeast eats the sugar present in the juice. In many wines, the winemaker stops the fermentation process before the yeast has time to eat all the sugar, leaving the wine a touch sweet. When a winemaker leaves a little sugar behind, we call this residual sugar. To make a dry wine, the winemaker will instead let the fermentation process finish completely, allowing the yeast to consume all the sugar present. No more sugar, so no sugary sweetness; the wine is therefore dry.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
claustrophobia: an extreme fear of being in a small confined place

to suffer to claustrophobia
The parts of London where your claustrophobia may kick in: markets, nightclubs and most notoriously, the underground.

clouthestrophobia: the fear of wearing too tight of clothes, or over-constricting attire.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
nonchalant: adj. not to worry or care about things, very calm
The upshot is that we’re horrifyingly nonchalant at the prospect that rising carbon emissions may devastate our favorite planet.

Floridians are reacting to hordes of college students who flocked there, appearing nonchalant about the pandemic.

smirk: smile in a silly or unpleasant way
They all had the same smirk on their faces, they were enjoying attacking me, they were all enjoying it.

accost: to go up to sb and speak to them, especially in a way that is rude or threatening

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
go bananas: to become irrational or crazy

I go bananas when the power is out for 20 minutes.
I'll end up going bananas if I have to work in this cubicle for one more day!

pop off: to depart or die suddenly or unexpectedly

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
tide over: to help to get through (a period of difficulty, distress, etc)

The money tided him over until he got a job

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
in the thick of something: if you are in the thick of it or in the thick of an activity or situation, you are very involved in it.
He suddenly found himself in the thick of desperate fighting.

grove: a group of trees that are close together.
It's a shingled house, embedded in a grove of redwoods and cut off from light.

watershed: an event or a period of time that marks an important change

This is a watershed event and I'm going to make this a test case.
On the face of it, this seems like a watershed moment for independent film financing.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
(as) thick as thieves: having a close, intimate friendship or alliance.
Anna and Beth are together all the time these days—they're as thick as thieves.

aboveboard: without concealment or deception; honest
Everything I do is aboveboard, everything I do is legit.

taciturn: tending not to say very much, in a way that seems unfriendly
My taciturn brother had become even more silent, as if he himself had turned into stone.

dredge up: to bring to notice
She's got more important things to do than dredge up the past and complain about the present.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
pro bono: ( especially of legal work ) done without asking for payment

Medical and law schools teach the value of pro bono work, business schools rarely do.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
dot the i's and cross the t's: to add the final minor details to a piece of work, plan or arrangement

Unless all the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed, a contract is not likely to be valid.

Samaritan: a person who gives help and sympathy to people who need it.

A good Samaritan offered us a room in his house.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
repugnant: horrible or disgusting

This may increase public safety and ease my tax burden, but systematic genocide is a repugnant way to address these problems.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
beat it: used for telling someone to go away, especially when you are angry with them.

ramp up: to increase or cause to increase
California & New York ramp up restrictions on movement amidst coronavirus outbreak。

stave off: avoid, escape
Amid hopes that stimulus packages around the world would stave off an even bigger disaster, the FTSE100 rose as much as 5 per cent in early trading.

hankering: a strong desire

Below are a few of the best local webcam picks for anybody hankering for entertainment during prolonged spells of sitting down and chilling out.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
hit the head: go to the bathroom

hanker down: to stay in a place for a period of time

We just stay in, we just hanker down. Make sure we got plenty of food in the house

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
apocalyptic /əˌpɒkəˈlɪptɪk/ like the end of the world, describing very serious damage and destruction in past or future events
For the life of me, I can't remember how to pronounce this word.

Apocalyptic fictions help us deal with the anxiety of the coronavirus pandemic.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
chuck: to throw sth away; to throw sth carelessly; to give up or stop doing sth.

Chuck me the newspaper, would you?

That's no good—just chuck it.

I'm going to chuck it all in (= give up my job) and go abroad.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
faux pas: /'fəu'pɑ:/ ( from French ) an action or a remark that causes embarrassment because it is not socially correct.

Even a few years ago, it would have been considered a faux pas to play with your phone during a meeting.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
catch (get) one's drift: to understand what someone is saying or implying

Usually substituted for the following phrases: "If you know what I'm saying." or "If you see what I mean."

You behave like a little naughty girl if you catch my drift!
I was so tired that I couldn't focus on the boss's speech during the meeting, but I think I got the drift of what he was saying.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
bona fide: genuine, real or legal; not false

Is it a bona fide, reputable organization?
We are happy to donate to bona fide charitable causes.

egregious: very bad or offensive

The egregious circumstances caused by the COVID-19 pandemic led to extremely high levels of volatility in all financial markets in March.
the most egregious abuses of human rights.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
stir crazy: distraught because of prolonged confinement, unhappy and upset because you have been in a place for a long time and want to get out.

Confinement makes us fidgety and stir-crazy.
Jon Jones said he was getting stir-crazy at home during the coronavirus pandemic, which led him to getting behind the wheel and ultimately being arrested.

monotony /məˈnɒtəni/ : boring, never change

Adam breaks up the monotony of coronavirus-induced home quarantine by taking a bike ride.
the monotony of prison life
She watches television to relieve the monotony of everyday life.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
off the beaten path/track: a place that is not well known and is far away from the places that people usually visit

If fresh air is the only thing getting you through in this age of social distancing, chances are you're looking for some new spots off the beaten path in order to avoid like-minded crowds.

I chose that island as a vacation spot because I knew it was off the beaten path and would give me some much-needed solitude.

feted: If someone is feted, they are celebrated, welcomed, or admired by the public.

How many enterprise software executives can brag that they have been feted by Hollywood?

meritocracy: a country or social system where people get power or money on the basis of their ability

Politicians have sold meritocracy as rhetoric to the masses, they believe it is the best method to achieve an egalitarian society.