• Welcome to EnForums.com - A community for passionate English learners. If you are passionate about English, you have come to the right place, please register to participate.

Learning English Is My Hobby

Goku99821

There's also veganuary where people try to become vegan for a month. This year was the first time I heard it.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
stone: (in Britain) a unit for measuring weight, equal to 6.35 kg or 14 pounds

skipper: the captain of a sports team

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
fudge: present or deal with (something) in a vague or inadequate way, especially so as to conceal the truth or mislead.

The constitutional court's ruling will certainly make it more difficult to fudge election results.

coronavirus: a large family of viruses that can cause respiratory illnesses such as the common cold

The fast-spreading infection, which causes pneumonia-like symptoms, has prompted Chinese authorities to quarantine several major cities and cancel some Lunar New Year events.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
skirt around

To move around and avoid someone or something. (something can be a topic of conversation.)

We talked the whole evening and managed to skirt around Fred.

These roads skirt around the mountains.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
catharsis is getting rid of unhappy memories or strong emotions such as anger or sadness by expressing them in some way.

gauntlet:

take up the gauntlet — accept (or issue) a challenge.

run the gauntlet: to be criticized or attacked by a lot of people, especially a group of people that you have to walk through

Some of the witnesses had to run the gauntlet of television cameras and reporters.

throw down the gauntlet: to invite sb to fight or compete with you

Anthony Joshua has thrown down the gauntlet for a heavyweight title showdown with Tyson Fury as the WBO, WBA and IBF champion made his case for an all-British unification bout.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
upstage: if someone upstages you, they draw attention away from you by being more attractive or interesting.

He had a younger brother who always publicly upstaged him.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
domicile: to live, the place you live.

mould: a particular style showing the characteristics, attitudes or behavior that are typical of sb/sth.

anachronism: out of date or old-fashioned

hold sway in sth: have great power or influence over a particular person, place, or domain.

They hold sway in oil, gas, tourism and telecoms.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
shabby: things or places look old and in bad condition

baloney: nonsense; lies

Angie

bawling: to cry your eyes out.

The movie was so sad that I was bawling by the end of it.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
take someone up on something:to accept an offer or invitation from someone

I think I’ll take him up on his offer of a free ticket.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
churlish: rude in a mean-spirited and surly way.

It seems unnecessarily churlish to focus on the uselessness of the British monarchy during a royal wedding.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
a deer in (the) headlights: someone caught in a state of paralyzing surprise, fear, or bewilderment.

Traders dream of profits but often freeze like deer in the headlights when a losing trade hits them.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
markup: the amount added to the cost price of goods to cover overheads and profit
markdown: reduction in the price of something

There will be a markup when you buy it, a markdown when you sell it and fees to store and insure it.
An appraiser then values the structure, usually at a 15% markup to building costs.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
deference: respect and esteem due a superior or an elder
synonym: respect

It was rare for him to treat a client with so little deference.
In practical terms, Thomas pays far less deference to prior rulings of the Court than his colleagues do.

in deference to: in consideration of

returned early in deference to her parents' wishes
First, the United States kept this concept secret in deference to the political sensitivities among allies.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
scrimp: be thrifty, if you scrimp on things, you live cheaply and spend as little money as possible.

Scrimping on safety measures can be a false economy.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
doxing: searching for and publishing private or identifying information about (a particular individual) on the Internet.

I know the behavior, but never heard of this English word.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
under the cosh: (British, informal) under pressure; in a difficult situation.
They put us under the cosh for most of the game.

A trick up (one's) sleeve: a secret plan, idea, or advantage that can be utilized if and when it is required.
I've got a few tricks up my sleeve if he decides to pursue legal action against me.

dejected: sad and depressed; dispirited.
When I met her at a Beijing Starbucks, she was dejected and making plans to leave the city.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
floor it: to drive as fast as possible. A reference to the act of pushing the accelerator all the way to the floor of the car.
Floor it, or we'll never get to the airport on time.

run the (red) light: to drive quickly through a red traffic light instead of stopping
Jones still faces a misdemeanor charge of reckless driving and an infraction for running a red light.

wait sth out: to wait until something unpleasant has ended.
In the meantime, yields on those securities are exceptionally high compared with U.S. Treasurys, which means investors are essentially paid to wait it out.

In (outside) one's wheelhouse: In line with one's interests or abilities.
Jeff's always stayed in his wheelhouse when it comes to dating women. He doesn't usually go for anyone very different from himself.

From It's 2am And You Are Coming Up To A Red Light

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
ball and chain: something that limits one's freedom or ability to do things

Drugs are a ball and chain for many people.
Resentment is a ball and chain; forgiveness sets you free again. Forgiveness offers you insurance against premature aging, a blocked heart, an unhealed past and an unhappy future.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
not know (one) from Adam: not know someone by looking at them; never met someone before.

between a rock and a hard place: a dilemma, a situation offering at least two possibilities, neither of which is acceptable.