• Welcome to EnForums.com - A community for passionate English learners. If you are passionate about English, you have come to the right place, please register to participate.

Learning English Is My Hobby

newlife2020

Admin
I learn something new every day. I will use this thread to write my English learning journey.

I read a lot on a senior forum, it is my favorite website for learning English. All words or phrases are actually used in daily conversations or casual writing. With some culture background and a little history, it's a perfect place for English learners. I only read though as they only allow seniors to post.

Comments or corrections are welcome.

Last edited:

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
Fight back tears: to try very hard not to cry

"The day before I had actually built myself a small kiln down the back — a coffin-sized kiln — just big enough for me to crawl inside," he recalled while fighting back tears.
Source

It's the first time I saw this phrase. 🙄

Two other similar phrases: "hold back tears" and "choke back tears".

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
two peas in a pod: two people or things are very similar to each other; two people getting along really well.

From a personality type perspective, the CFO and CIO are two peas in a pod.

My mom and that cat were two peas in a pod.

Many see Apple and Volkswagen as two peas in a pod given their similar marketing, even if previous talk of collaborations amounted to little more than speculation.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
Boxing Day

Boxing day is holiday celebrated the day after Christmas Day. It originated in the United Kingdom and is celebrated in a number of countries that previously formed part of the British Empire. Boxing Day is on 26 December. - wikipedia.

From a UK member on seniorforums.com:
Boxing day is huge everywhere in the UK and when the biggest sales are on...and is also a national holiday.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
callous: showing or having an insensitive and cruel disregard for others.

I am not callous and do give to charity, but at my own time and choosing where it goes. source.

I don't know since when, my memory became very poor. I just couldn't remember a word's definitions no matter how many times I have looked it up. It should help by writing it here.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
brat: if you call someone, especially a child, a brat, you mean that he or she behaves badly or annoys you.
• He's a spoiled brat.

shriek: to give a loud high shout, for example when you are excited, frightened or in pain.
screechy
high pitched squeal

otherworldly
: Otherworldly people, things, and places seem strange or spiritual, and not much connected with ordinary things.

relent: 1. to finally agree to sth after refusing 2. to become less determined, strong, etc.

burgeon: to begin to grow or develop rapidly

- All from an interesting thread talking about kids screaming in public.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
lo and behold: used to express wonder or surprise.
So we started jumping up and down waving and shouting at it and lo and behold, the object changed directions and came directly towards us and in no time the object was almost on top of us.

vintage: ancient, old, optimal.
vintage people

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
vocation: work, a type of work or way of life that you believe is especially suitable for you.

avocation: hobby

Teaching is my vocation and writing is my avocation.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
snob: a person who thinks they are much better than other people because they are intelligent or like things that many people do not like.

an intellectual snob
a wine/coffee/tea/car snob

A discussion about snobbery, are you a snob?

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
anesthesia: /,ænɪs'θiːzɪə/ us spelling of anaesthesia

loss of sensation with medicine for surgery

I find this word hard to pronounce.

Last edited:

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
To line the coffers

This is a mildly derogatory phrase for raising money, and it applies to institutions, including governments. The word coffer means a chest for holding money. "Lining the coffers" implies that the institution is out to make money with little regard for the consequences.

They say they advocate for retired persons, but IMHO the only thing they advocate for is lining their coffers.

From Is AARP a good group to join?

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
sappy: (informal, North American) excessively sentimental
(of a plant) containing a lot of sap.

Rafiki

Awesome stuff! Although just some notes on two words I spotted Snob is pretty spot on however most of the time in the UK a snob is someone who is very wealthy and looks down upon those who're much poorer. For example a date to Mcdonalds wouldn't be a very good date for a snob.

And then "Sappy" I've never heard that before however it reminds me of "Sap" Sap can mean many things in the UK, Sap comes from trees, it can also be used in a phrase like this "I was afraid my illness had sapped me of my strength" (Taken away my strength) and finally the phrase I had in mind, Sap is also British slang for someone who might be foolish or gullible, this is the form I hear it used in most often. Example: "Barry's a Sap he believes pigs can fly"

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
Thank you very much for your comments, Rafiki, it's always very helpful to hear from a native speaker.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
pardner : friend or partner.

Thought it's a typo before I checked it out.

paddock : a small field in which horses are kept.

haze : light mist, moisture or dust or smoke that causes reduced visibility

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
urbanite : a resident of an urban community; city dweller

locum : ( BrE ) a doctor or priest who does the work of another doctor or priest while they are sick, on holiday, etc.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
The idiocy displayed by our species can be nothing short of astonishing.
Never used the phrase "noting short of", but I like it.

little short of

I won't read it since we're running a little short of time.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
let up : slow down, stops or become less intense.

The traffic in this city never lets up, even at night.

respite : a short period of rest from something unpleasant.

By the evening of Tuesday, after four days of rioting, a respite still seemed far off.

From No let up from the fires in Australia

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
I like the wording of this introduction post.

...I am 67, retired and live downtown in a small city. A year and a half ago, I moved from my off-the-grid homestead in the country to my apartment. I was in an unhappy situation for a number of years so took a chance on starting a new life. Best move I ever made! ...

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
to put a slant on: added new opinions or views.

The important thing is to put a humorous and higher status slant on each story.
He put a political slant on our discussions.