• Welcome to EnForums.com - A community for passionate English learners. If you are passionate about English, you have come to the right place, please register to participate.

Is there a defacto English?

Goku99821

English is a language which is being learnt by those in foreign countries due to its significant rise in numbers (aprx 375million :eek:)
The fact that there are 50 English speaking countries does indicate that there will be slight differences in pronunciation as well as spelling I.E. Colour | Color. However, generally speaking anyone with a fluent understanding of English will understand what is being said by other speakers (potentially even those with a Scottish accent)

But the challenge is found when individuals say different words for a common product. For example:
UK English = crisp - (I.E. walkers)
US English = chips - (I.E. lays)

However, chips in English (UK) is a term used to describe a type of fries. So if you're from the UK do not ask for chips in a US takeaway.

JohnD

I think you have to adapt to the place you are. Maybe there is a de facto word in some cases, but the chips case is an example that sometimes is impossible find an one-fits-all solution.