• Welcome to EnForums.com - A community for passionate English learners. If you are passionate about English, you have come to the right place, please register to participate.

I Love English

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
not know (one) from Adam: not know someone by looking at them; never met someone before.

between a rock and a hard place: a dilemma, a situation offering at least two possibilities, neither of which is acceptable.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
rain on someone's parade: prevent someone from enjoying an event; spoil someone's plans.

- Oh dude this gig's gonna be so awesome and EVERYONE's gonna get so drunk!
- Sorry to rain on your parade, but there's no alcohol allowed inside the building.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
a drop in the bucket: a very small amount compared with what is needed or expected.

I'm glad Tony started repaying the money he borrowed from me, but the five dollars he gave me yesterday is just a drop in the bucket compared to what he still owes.

Though there are hundreds of millions of dollars being exchanged in these acquisitions, the actual revenue being earned by SMMP vendors is a drop in the bucket compared to overall revenue in the enterprise technology sector.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
Go over like a lead balloon (UK version: go down like a lead balloon)
Fail completely and be considered a flop by the public

I’m afraid your plan went over like a lead balloon.

newlife2020

Admin
Original Poster
(The) Elephant in the (living) room: an important topic or problem that everyone knows about but no one wants to discuss because it makes at least some of them uncomfortable.

The degeneration of parental responsibility in this country is the elephant in the room, but no one in Washington wants to address it.